Imagine Schools At West Gilbert Athletic Handbook 2015-2016
Matt Rawley Principal Matt.Rawley@imagineschools.com
Jeff Armstrong Dean of Students Jeff.Armstrong@imagineschools.com
Michele Daris Athletic Director Michele.Daris@imagineschools.com
In addition to being under regular school supervision, all athletic functions are carried out according to the rules of the AZ Charter Athletic Association. Participation in the athletic program at Imagine Schools at West Gilbert by a student athlete (boy or girl) is an important part of the young man or young woman’s career in school. Athletics are unique, since success in team sports is based on cooperation, loyalty, discipline, and a close relationship between player and coach. To benefit completely and contribute extensively, a player must be willing to make personal sacrifices for the betterment of the team. Although a coach at Imagine Schools At West Gilbert is always interested and concerned in the academic and athletic progress of each student-athlete, he or she must at times place the welfare of the entire team before the personal interests of a single student-athlete.
Codes of Conduct and Appearance
This shall be formulated by each athletic squad with meetings set between the coaching staff, athletes and parents at the beginning of the season. The rules shall be adhered to and are enforceable by the coach.
The athletic department believes that by abiding by the following rules our athletes will create a positive self-image, gain peer acceptance, learn self-control and self-discipline, and establish a positive set of values for future involvement in society. Each coach will see that each athlete on the squad receives a set of rules before the athlete’s season starts so there are no misunderstandings on anyone’s part.
1. Every athlete must follow the rules established by his or her coach and the rules of the athletic department.
2. Smoking, consumption of unauthorized drugs or alcohol, or undesirable conduct will not be tolerated on any athletic squad.
3. A student participating in athletics must dress in a manner that reflects a gentleman/lady in the eyes of his/her coach.
4. An athlete represents more than himself/herself. Because he/she represents the team, our school, and the community, his/her appearance must reflect this responsibility. Good health standards are to be maintained in the locker rooms and in the use of equipment. It is clearly understood that all coaches will enforce grooming rules as are necessary for their particular sport.
5. Every athlete will meet the rules and regulations of Imagine Schools At West Gilbert.
6. All discipline problems will be handled by the coach and, when necessary, a meeting with the parents will be scheduled. In very serious problems of discipline, a decision will be reached by the coach, Athletic Director and Principal after a thorough investigation.
7. If a denial of privilege of participation is recommended to the Athletic Director by the coach, the notice will be made by the coach. This may be appealed to the Athletic Director. The appeal must be written and submitted within 48 hours after parental notification.
8. Every student must turn in an Athletic Participation Contract (online or by printing signed by the student and his/her parents or guardian) and a copy of the Concussion in Sports course completion certificate. This contract and course completion certificate must be on file with the coach before the first game with the participation fee.